Dissertation

Module: Marketing Public Services

Assignment: Personal Development Program

COMPETENCY AREA: FOCUSING ON DELIVERY

SELF ASSESSMENT

For this module, there were two significant activities: the Poster presentation and the Media presentation.We met as a group and discussed every detail at length. The group made a dedicated effort for media and the poster presentation and delivered effectively and timely

COMPETENCY AREA: GIVING PURPOSE AND DIRECTION

SELF ASSESSMENT

I used my experience and background to help the group devise innovative ideas for poster campaign. Encouraged everyone to participate in whatever area they were comfortable e.g. internet searching, image searching, layout designing, preparing media brief or making the formal presentation.

COMPETENCY AREA: LEADING BY EXAMPLE

SELF ASSESSMENT

During college days, I had worked on several poster assignments, but I wanted the group members to work collectively on the poster.
We had series of meetings but nothing concretised from them.

As the deadline for the poster presentation approached, the members panicked, and a realisation dawned upon me that the democratic method will not work. It was time for leading by example.

I took upon myself the poster work and prepared a draft poster. The group then critically analysed it. Based on analysis the poster was fine-tuned. It was printed and was ready for display on time

COMPETENCY AREA: THINKING STRATEGICALLY

SELF ASSESSMENT

We had to think of two different strategies for producing a ‘Sound Byte’ in our media campaign and an ‘Appeal to the Heart’ in our poster campaign. We had brain storming sessions in which we did knowledge & experience sharing. We then dovetailed these ideas into the final finished product.

COMPETENCY AREA: GETTING THE BEST FROM PEOPLE

SELF ASSESSMENT

Two of our group members were scared of facing the Media. To help them overcome their fear, I did the initial TV interview and Radio talk to show them how to do it. I did mock interviews with them and then sat through their session for moral support. They performed well.

COMPETENCY AREA: LEARNING AND IMPROVING

SELF ASSESSMENT

During our media workshop, I listened very carefully to Dicken Reed, a BBC World presenter, as he conducted the interviews. I told myself that I must do something special.
I picked up a new topic: Health Insurance in India and planned that in the interview I will narrate an anecdote, detail a visual experience, push in a strong message and then wrap it up with humour. Further, all the time I will look Dicken in the eye and smile.
The interview went as planned and the result: Dicken, the audience and me had a magical experience.

Priorsfield

Priorsfield
The IDD classrooms

Followers