Dissertation

Module: Leadership and Management Development

Assignment: Personal Development Program

COMPETENCY AREA: FOCUSING ON DELIVERY

SELF ASSESSMENT

The Term one was a very steep learning curve for me as I have never been into the world of University learning. I worked four to five hours everyday, doing extensive reading, assimilating & analysing study material and then synthesizing it into my assignments.

The present module required incorporation of intra-modular and inter-module knowledge on Leadership into the Learning Diary. Interesting bits from the study material including books, articles, photographs, cartoons, quotations, personal examples were added to the Learning diary make it informal and interesting.

A ‘turgid’ journal article was reviewed and a ‘insightful’ PDP form was also submitted as a part of the assessment requirement.

COMPETENCY AREA: GIVING PURPOSE AND DIRECTION

SELF ASSESSMENT

The first term modules had several group tasks. A number of students did not work on the task and wanted to ‘free ride’.
In most cases, I ended up completing the task. To make group work participative I devised a method, in which a group spokesperson was identified & a tight time-frame for task completion was set.
For every group activity, the spokesperson was changed. The group incentive was a longer tea break if it finished early. The group focus increased, free riding ended and the outputs improved tremendously.

COMPETENCY AREA: LEADING BY EXAMPLE

SELF ASSESSMENT

In the module, I had an opportunity to present my concepts on Leadership to the entire class. I prepared a PowerPoint presentation. Using the example of Shackelton I outlined ideas on Primal and Thought leadership. The presentation was well received and a lively debate on motivation and leadership followed the presentation.

COMPETENCY AREA: THINKING STRATEGICALLY

SELF ASSESSMENT

I have vast management experience as compared to my course-mates and being an extrovert; I was modulating the discussions and leading group activities.

This situation was potentially dangerous as in the past people have developed strong dislike for this attitude and termed me as agressive and bossy.

The same was beginning to happen here in MBA. It was time for a new strategy. I began by being quiet in the lectures. I allowed others to speak and discuss ideas. After everyone had, had an opportunity to speak, I spoke with higher-level ideas and analysis.

I never criticised anyone but built on what others had said. I went out of the way to help the weak students and made friends with all my course mates including those on the MSc. In the group discussions, I delivered the ideas but made others do the presentation. I gave suggestions, helped find research material and performed Peer reviews for batch-mates.

During the module students realised that they could walk up to me anytime for help and guidance. My knowledge and experience was available to them. This strategic thinking helped me to evolve as a likable ‘Peer Leader’.

COMPETENCY AREA: GETTING THE BEST FROM PEOPLE

SELF ASSESSMENT

During the present module on Leadership, we had poster presentation for the previous module on Social Marketing. When the posters were being put up for display, one of the group posters had to be moved to less visible spot. A member of that group was visibly irritated. It tensed up the atmosphere.

I told him that it is not about winning, but about letting, others compete. If their poster were good, it would make an impact no matter where it is displayed. He saw the logic and the issue was resolved.

In the next lecture while assessing ourselves on the Thomas Kilman conflict mode instrument, the member confided that what I had told him that day had made him to move up from 1 to 12 on the scale of compromising and he had discovered something new within himself.

COMPETENCY AREA: LEARNING AND IMPROVING

SELF ASSESSMENT

I learnt several new concepts such as Hybrid leadership (Grint), How men and women converse (Tannen), Symbolism and Gender (Morgan), Experiential Learning (Kolb). These have offered me new ideas on Leadership and helped me in better understanding of people.

I also learnt to critique a journal article and work with web CT. These have increased my competence levels and taken me higher on the learning curve.

The Thomas-Kilman conflict mode- instrument analysis, Mary-Briggs Instrument on personality types gave insights into what I was and helped me see myself in a different light.

Priorsfield

Priorsfield
The IDD classrooms

Followers